Prof. Dr. Omer OZKAN
Graduated from Ankara's Cumhuriyet High School in 1988. He graduated from the Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine in Ankara in 1995, completing postgraduate specialist studies at the Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Department in 1995-2001.
Appointed associate professor in 2004 and assistant professor in 2006. Served a six-month clinical fellowship in the field of perforator flaps and supermicrosurgery at the University of Tokyo in 2004, followed by a six-month clinical fellowship in plastic and hand surgery at Taiwan's I/Shou University E-Da Hospital. Awarded a three-month EURAPS Young Plastic Surgeons bursary in 2006, holding a fellowship at the Munich Bogenhausen Technical University in Germany. Holder of the 2002 PSEF (Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation) Scientific Essay Contest Junior Basic Science Award, the 2005 EURAPS Young Plastic Surgeons Scholarship and the 2007 Akdeniz University Incentive Award. Holder of the Akdeniz University Special Service Award for 2010. Awarded the title “doctor of the year” by the Turkish Ministry of Health in March 2011. Performed Turkey's first and the world's 15th double arm transplant on 25 September, 2010, and headed the team that performed the world's first womb transplant from a cadaver on 8 August, 2011.
Fields of interest include face and body surgery, breast reconstruction, tissue loss repair, muscle restoration in facial nerve paralysis, mandibular reconstruction and urogenital surgery.
1. 2002 PSEF (Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation) Scientific Essay Contest Junior Basic Science Award, co-author
2. 2005 EURAPS Young Plastic Surgeons Scholarship
3. 2007 Akdeniz Unıversity Incentive Award
4. 2010, ATSO Scientist of the Year Award
5. 2010, ANSIAD Entrepreneur of the Year Award
6. 2010, Çankaya Rotary Club Professional Award
7. 2010, Akdeniz University Special Service Award
8. 2011, Turkish Ministry of Health Doctor of the Year Award
9. 2011, Toros Educational Institutions Scientist of the Year Award
INTERNATIONAL STUDY :
1. Perforator Flaps and Supermicrosurgery. Clinical fellow under Prof. Isao Koshima. June-November, 2004. University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan.
2. Plastic Surgery and Hand Surgery. Clinical fellow under Prof. Hung-chi Chen. December-April, 2005, I/Shou University, E-Da Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
3. 2005 EURAPS Young Plastic Surgeons 3-month European plastic surgery bursary: Bogenhausen Technical University, Munich, Germany.